Tales from the Practice of Medicine: The Hiccups

Dr. Li Defu

PureInsight | January 13, 2003

[PureInsight.org] One morning before we opened the clinic, I saw someone already waiting by the door. I went out, and I was going to tell him to go home and call back my office for an appointment. But before I could say anything, I heard a loud hiccup from him. He wanted to say something, but he couldn't stop hiccupping, and tears were coming out of his eyes. He was in his 60s, medium build, appeared to be Jewish, and looked very kind. I invited him in without saying a thing. After I had him sit down, I pressed a spot behind his ear for about 10 seconds, and he stopped hiccupping. I then inserted an acupuncture needle half an inch below his yifeng acupuncture point, at which point he immediately stopped hiccupping. He was speechless with surprise.

After a while he started talking about his hiccups. It had been 21 days since he started uncontrollably hiccupping once every 1 or 2 minutes. He went to the hospital but nothing that the doctors tried worked. In the end, the only thing that they could do was to give him sleeping pills and saline solution to keep him hydrated. With those, he could sleep for about 1 to 2 hours. Then he would start hiccupping again after he woke up. It had continued for 21 days and was getting unbearable. The previous day he told a friend that he was in so much pain that he was even contemplating suicide. The friend suddenly thought of me and told him to come to my clinic the first thing in the morning.

Fifteen minutes later after I first inserted the needle, the hiccupping hadn't started again. I told him, "You can go now. But leave the needle there for a couple of hours. Then you can take it out." But he did not want to leave, no matter what I said, so in the end I let him stay. He stayed for 2 hours, after which he still wouldn't go. His family brought food and water for him, since his hiccups had rendered him unable to eat anything for 20 days. The hospital had kept him alive through IV's.

Throughout the day he didn't hiccup, and it was only after he was sure that he wouldn't hiccup anymore did he leave. That was after I finished my work day. Twenty one days of hiccupping was fixed in one second with one needle.

Translated from: http://www.zhengjian.org/zj/articles/2002/12/22/19664.html

Add new comment