PureInsight | July 12, 2004
[PureInsight.org] [Editors Note: The practitioner who wrote "Left Without a Mother's Love" , published on Purensight.org in installments beginning May 3, 2004, also submitted it to a new writers' online magazine called fanStory where every submission is reviewed by readers. Some of the readers' responses are copied below as an example of the use of fiction in clarifying the truth about Falun Gong and its practitioners.]
"Left Without a Mother's Love", a work of fiction, clarifies the truth about Falun Gong.
"Left Without a Mother's Love" is a work of fiction written by a non-Chinese practitioner. It aims to clarify the truth about the persecution of Falun Gong through the form of fiction. The author published the story on FanStory.com, a website where new authors can publish their stories to be read by people around the world.
The story has been rated by readers so far to be "Excellent". It received 4 stars out of 5.
Many readers were shocked and moved after reading about the persecution of Falun Gong through the work of fiction. Some of the comments are reproduced below:
- "Xiu Mei ... is running for something awful which happened to her or her family in China and it must be tied to Falun Gong ... it is keeping me turning the page ..."
- "Nice use of a fiction piece to raise awareness of a problem that's special to you. This is an example of a strong story that will carry the reader through 'til the end."
- "I have read much about this people and their customs and the suffering and persecution they have endured over so many things. Your writing does justice to them, their customs and the repression that they have lived with."
- "...where she sees her mother's body. Really quite moving bit of writing."
- "...this story really captured me. I hate to hear of people being persecuted for their beliefs. I know that I live in a country where I can freely worship God, and I regret that I take it for granted. Very good work."
- "...yours is a frightening story--similar to the Jewish holocaust."
- "... instinctively I felt that was going to happen, but I fought the thought, the environment of lack of freedom, persecution of the best in society is magnificently presented, yet is done in clear simplicity, so real and painful, tears cannot be avoid."
- "Xiu Mei's story grabbed me from the window seat on the plane, and raised lots of questions. Everything is very well written. Keep it up, it's very interesting."
The synopsis of the story is:
"A story about a young female Chinese student who comes to the US for higher studies, trying to forget her mother's death. As she gets closer to friends who also practice Falun Gong, the same spiritual practice that her mother was persecuted to death for, she realizes that she has to face her past.
"Falun Gong is a peaceful meditation that is being persecuted brutally in China, as brutally as the Jews were persecuted in Nazi Germany; more details are provided as the story unfolds."
Even though the work itself is fiction, it is based on real and heart-rending stories related to the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China. The author hoped to raise awareness about the persecution of Falun Gong through this work of fiction.