Weathering the Storm, Chapter 1 of Part Six

Zhong Fangqiong

PureInsight | January 17, 2005


Part 6. Righteous Beliefs of Falun Dafa

Chapter 1: The World of Demons

Police and Bandits

In recent years, there is a popular saying in China, "In the past, bandits hid out inside remote mountain; nowadays, bandits hide out inside police departments." How terrible the Chinese society has become!

After some fellow practitioners were arrested for distributing Falun Dafa truth clarification material, I was implicated. In the morning of April 2, 2002, policeman Wei Daping took me to the police station under the pretext that I hadn't been calling the police station every day to report my whereabouts. He told me that he wanted me to go to the police station to write a pledge that I would start calling the police station every day from then on. In reality, he just wanted to get me out of the house so the police could ransack my home while I was gone.

While I was in the police station, more than a dozen people from the local 610 Office in Chenghua District, the Wannianchang Police Substation, the Neighborhood Administration Office, the 610 Office in Jianyang City, the State Security Brigade, and the Police Substation in Yunlong Township ransacked my house completely. They even looked inside the spittoon on my balcony. When I got home, I found my house had been turned upside down. A policeman was videotaping my home. Several policemen were still there going through my boxes and chests. I knew they would walk off with something (the last time they searched my house, they stole a large buddle of air conditioner cable that had been left over from when I remodeled my apartment). Then I found my cell phone was missing. I asked the policemen if they had seen it. Some said they had never seen it, while others said they had seen a cell phone just now but did not know where it had gone. Later they asked Wei Daping and another policeman to drag me down from my third-floor apartment. Both my knees and the backs of my feet were badly scraped. While thy dragged me, I cried out loudly, "The police is abducting a good person!"

There was a teahouse outside my apartment building. Many people gathered to watch what was going on. I took advantage of the opportunity to clarify the truth about Falun Gong to them. I told them how the Tiananmen self-Immolation incident was staged. I also told them how the Sichuan Province TV Station had fabricated a story about me to slander Falun Gong and how the police had just stolen my cell phone.

What the policemen dreaded the most was having me clarify the truth about Falun Gong. The evil is afraid of being exposed. So they tried to push me into a police car. I tried my best to hold my ground and continued to clarify the truth to the people who had gathered to watch what was going. The police tore off the collar of my dress during the pushing and shoving. Later they sent me to the Jianyang City Detention Center by force (The police did return my cell phone in the end and leave it in another room in my apartment. But they stole 570 yuan that my 11-year-old son had received from relatives for the Chinese New Year).

Repaying Kindness with Enmity

Once the police drove me to the Jianyang City Detention Center, I refused to go inside because I felt that I had done nothing wrong. All I've ever wanted to do is to be a good person. Finally Zheng Yongqiang, the director of the detention center, gave my back a hard kick and kicked me into the detention center.

After I was locked up inside a prison cell, I refused to answer the roll call and memorize detention center regulations. Instead I spent the day practicing the Falun Gong exercises, reciting passages from Falun Gong books, and sending righteous thoughts. A policeman with the surname of Huang ordered a security guard with the surname of Yuan to put cuffs around my hands and feet. I still tried to kindly reason with them. I told them, "I am not a criminal. Practicing exercises and wanting to be a good person is not a crime. For the sake of your own future, I suggest you treat Falun Gong practitioners kindly." Policewoman Huang responded, "How dare you say anything to me!" Then she told Yuan to cuff my hands and feet together. As a result, I could not straighten my back or eat.

Master Li taught us, "Every person you come into contact with in society is someone to clarify the truth to, and what's manifest in clarifying the truth is Dafa disciples' mercy and their salvation of the world's people."(Essential For Further Advancement II, To All Students at the Nordic Fa Conference). Master Li also said, "You've done very well in clarifying the truth to the people of the world. At the same time, I can tell you that this is also magnificent and merciful. It looks like we're giving a flyer to an everyday person, and it appears that we're telling everyday people what the truth is. Let me tell you, when this Fa-rectification matter is over, humankind will enter the next stage, and those people and beings who in their minds think that the Great Fa of the cosmos isn't good will be the first weeded out. It's because no matter how bad some beings in the cosmos are, they are even worse, for what they're against is the Fa of the cosmos," ("Guiding the Voyage," "Teaching the Fa at the Great Lakes Fa Conference in North America")

So even though I was treated badly in the detention center, I tried my best to write down how Falun Gong had miraculously cured my illnesses and how I have been persecuted during the last several years for practicing Falun Gong. I gave my article to Policewoman Huang in person, and asked her to pass it on to Director Zhong. I hoped that by reading my article they would come to see Falun Gong in a positive light and treat Dafa practitioners kindly. After they read my article, instead of showing me kindness and sympathy, they threatened me, "You have been detained for more than 10 times. It seems that you got out each time through holding hunger strikes. This time things will be different. Just wait and see."

They cuffed my hands and feet for a long time. I was left with no other choice but to hold a hunger strike in protest. Four days after I started my hunger strike, they began to force-feed me savagely. Security Guard Yuan pulled me out of bed. Seven or eight men then grabbed me and pushed me down on a narrow piece of board. Some of them grabbed my head, hands and feet, some pinched my neck, while others pinched my nose until I could not move. Then they tried to insert a plastic tube as thick as my little finger into my stomach. Because the tube was too thick, they had a lot of difficulty trying to push the tube down my throat. I vomited a large amount of blood and began to foam at the mouth. I couldn't stop tears from flowing down my face. When they finally got the tube inside my stomach, they stuffed a large amount of cornmeal paste inside me and didn't stop until the paste started to come out of my nose.

Sometimes I thought to myself, "Sentient beings, how can you be so muddle-headed? What Falun Dafa disciples are doing is to save people. Yet you torture them so cruelly. Do you know how big a crime you have committed?" No wonder the well-known Immortal, Lu Dongbin once said, "I'd rather save an animal than a human being." It is so hard for human beings to be saved.

It Is All Jiang Zemin's Fault

In order to make me tell them where the Falun Gong material the police had found in my home came from and where it was supposed to go to as well as force me to give up my practice of Falun Gong, the police from Yunlong Township Police Station tried everything they could think of. They even found my first boyfriend and brought him to see me. When he saw me walking into the room slowly with cuffs around my hands and feet, he was shocked. He knows I am a kind-hearted and upright person. He asked the security guard, "What crime has she committed? Why have you tortured her so badly? You can see rust on her wrists from the handcuffs that she is wearing. Yet you are still making her wear the cuffs." The security guard answered, "She refused to abide by the prison regulations. She has practiced Falun Gong exercises, shared experiences with other Falun Gong practitioners and held a hunger strike." My first boyfriend felt very sad and told me, "If you promise to give up Falun Gong, I can post the bail and get you out immediately. The police here are my friends. Why do you want to suffer more torture here?" I thanked him but told him that I couldn't go against my conscience and do what he suggested.

The next time they tried to force-feed me, security guard Yuan threatened me, "If you still refuse to eat, I will make your first boyfriend pay 50 Yuan each time we have to force-feed you. If that doesn't work, I will bring your cousin in and make him force-feed you himself." My cousin once worked in Yunlong Township as a policeman and had transferred to Jianyang City a long time ago. One day a policeman came to do a roll call. All the other inmates in the cell stood on the ground and took turn calling out their numbers. When they finished, the head of the cell told the policeman, "There is still one more sitting on the bed." The policeman asked me, "Why don't you come down and participate in the roll call?" I answered, "I am not a criminal." I then raised my head to look the policeman in the eyes and blurted out, "Cousin!" It turned out that my cousin had been transferred to the detention center. We hadn't seen each other for several years and saw each other again under such circumstances.

The next time I talked to him, I tried my best to clarify the truth about Falun Gong to him. He said, "I can do nothing to help you. Falun Gong cases are special. Other people are in charge of your case. I used to be so envious of you for everything you had accomplished. I would have never dreamed that you would fall into such a plight."

I answered, "That is all Jiang Zemin's fault."

Death-penalty Bed

In the Jianyang City Detenion Center, I was tied onto a torture device called the "death penalty bed" for a long period of time. The "death penalty bed" is a piece of metal panel with small holes for ropes to go through. It is very narrow and only has enough room for one person to lie down with hands tucked tightly next to the body. There is a big hole in the place where one's buttock lies so the excrement can drop down. The guards tied me tightly into the bed with my face up. The rope was as thick as a chopstick and made of hemp. Two men tied a long rope from my neck to my arms and then tied a knot on the bed. Then they wound the rope many times around my body as if I was a piece of roasted meat. If I moved my head a little bit, the rope would dig hard into my neck.

After they tied me up like that, my arms soon began to ache, and then my neck and back began to ache too. Each day felt like a year. Other than going to the restroom, I was tied to the bed day and night. I tried to bear the agony by sending righteous thoughts and reciting Teacher's article. Teacher said, "Cultivation is hard. It's hard in that even when a terrible calamity strikes, even when evil madly persecutes, and even when your life is at stake, you still have to be able to steadfastly continue on your path of cultivation without letting anything in human society interfere with the steps you take on your path of cultivation."(Essential for Further Advancement II, "Path")

Later on, after they force-fed me, they would not allow me to go to the bathroom to relieve myself in order to cause me more pain. I felt my bladder was about to burst. My forehead was covered with sweat, and even my underwear became soaked from the sweat. I asked inmates in my cell to untie me so I could use the bathroom. My request was met with a brutal beating. Li Ying, a prisoner who was the head of the cell, punched my chest with her fists. Another drug dealer who had been sentenced to death hit my head with her handcuffs. I tried to eliminate the evil elements behind them by sending righteous thoughts while also telling them sincerely, "You should preserve your virtue. You will have to pay back for the bad things you do." The two of them continued to hit me and shouted, "Since you are cultivating 'Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance,' you should endure this." When they were done with the beating, the handcuffs they were wearing left two small holes on my head. Blood flew down along my neck and soaked my clothes and pillow. Policeman Fan came in and saw what had happened. He said, "It serves you right. Nobody told you to embark on a hunger strike." The inmmates dared to beat me like that because they knew the guards would condone it.

Around noon on the same day, the security guard with the surname of Yuan who had treated me so cruelly came in to see Li Ying and said pitifully, "I am leaving." Li asked him, "Where are you going?" He replied, "I do not know. I will visit you later after my friends help me to find another job." Obviously he had received retribution for his bad deeds and had been fired from his job.

I held a hunger strike for half a month. During that time, I didn't eat or drink anything. My wounds became worse and worse. I was dying. To avoid being held accountable for my death, the detention center notified the Jianyang City District Court and the State Security Brigade. After receiving confirmation from several sources that I was dying, the detention center notified the police in the Wannianchang Police Station and Li Qiangjun from the Neighborhood Administration Office to bring me back to Chengdu City.

To cover its crime, the Jianyang City Detention Center did not allow anybody to see my wounds. But when the police from Chengdu City came to bring me back, I was carried out while wearing only a low-collar T-shirt (I didn't have a jacket). Wei Daping, the policeman from Wanninchang Police Station, found a lot of bloodstains on my head and neck. He asked me, "What is going on?" I answered, "I was beaten by two prisoners." Director Zhong retorted: "Who dared to hit you?" From what he said, it was clear that he didn't want to take responsibility for what had happened and tried to deny everything. Wei Daping wrote down the names of the two prisoners who had hit me and then brought me back to Chengdu.

Becoming Destitute and Homeless

After I was brought back from Jianyang City Detention Center, the police station asked me to sign a criminal detention notification form with the box "arrested" checked. At 7 PM that same night, they sent me to No. 6 hospital. I saw through their plan – they planned to send me back to prison after I recovered in the hospital. I opposed their arrangement firmly and demanded to go home.

After I left the hospital, the police station assigned Huang from Neighborhood Administration Office to live in my home to watch me day and night. Teacher said in "A Message": "Everything that Dafa disciples do at present is resisting the persecution of Dafa and Its disciples. Clarifying the truth, at the same time as exposing the evil, restrains the evil and lessens the persecution; and exposing the evil is at the same time purging from people's minds the poison of the evil's lies and deception--it is saving people. This is the grandest mercy, because in the future several billion people are to obtain the Fa, and if people's minds contain thoughts that resist Dafa, once this evil drama is over a large number of human beings will begin to be weeded out, and people who have a predestined relationship to obtain the Fa or even a larger number of innocent people might be weeded out. Therefore, everything we are currently doing is magnificent, is merciful, and is consummating the end of our path. "(Essentials for Further Advancement, "A Message"). To help make more people know about the persecution to Falun Gong and have a good future, I asked Teacher's help to escape from Huang's watch so I could go out to clarify the truth about Falun Gong and save sentient beings.

The opportunity soon came. One day Huang asked me to go to the farmer's market to buy some vegetables with her. I sent righteous thoughts to eliminate evil elements behind her and asked Teacher's help. I asked to be able to freeze Huang so I could leave to do the three things Master Li has told us to do. Everything happened as I expected. In that afternoon, I left my 70-year-old mother and 11-year-old son with a heavy heart and became destitute and homeless.

Translated from:

Add new comment