Weathering the Storm, Chapter 2 of Part Six

Zhong Fangqiong

PureInsight | January 31, 2005


Part 5. Righteous Beliefs of Falun Dafa

Chapter 2: Torture and Incapacitation

Running into a Spy

After I was forced to leave my home to avoid further persecution, I rented an apartment on my own. The address of the apartment is Building No. 22, Apt # 6 on Guangrong West Road, Chengdu City. I was illegally arrested and abducted from the apartment on December 9, 2002. This is what happened:

I went back to drive a truck in order to support myself. On December 9th, after I delivered goods in Chengdu city's North Railway Station, I returned home around 2:30 PM. When I got home, I saw a young man sitting near the entrance of the bike holding area of my apartment building. He had a bag across his shoulder. He looked vaguely familiar to me. But I didn't pay too much attention to him. I thought I might have seen him at the local stock market before I began to practice Falun Gong. So I parked my bike and went upstairs carrying my purse and several grocery bags. The young man followed me upstairs. I felt a little uneasy. So I put my grocery on the ground and stopped to tie my shoelaces to give him a chance to pass me. But he stopped behind me. I knew something was wrong. I started walking again and began to send righteous thoughts. He followed me all the way to my apartment. When we arrived outside of my apartment, I stopped. He told me to unlock my door. I responded, "I do not know who you are. Why should I open my door for you?" He immediately took out his police ID badge from his pocket. He then pushed me onto the ground, pulled both of my hands behind my back, and pressed one of his knees against my back. I yelled out loudly, "An evil person is arresting and persecuting a good person!" In the mean time, a large number of policemen rushed upstairs. They took my key from me. I cried out, "You can not open the door." The police fumbled with my lock for a long time and finally managed to unlock the door. A fellow practitioner who had been released from prison just a week earlier after being on a hunger strike for 3 months was inside the apartment and was also arrested.

The police pulled both of my hands behind my back, jerked them up as far as they would go, and tied them together. They then threw me down onto the icy floor of my living room, and tied both of my feet together. Policeman Zhang Zhi sealed my mouth with a wide plastic tape and then covered my head with a black plastic bag. Several policemen carried me downstairs and threw me into a police car like a gunnysack. I was brought to the Guangrong Community Police Station. A policeman slapped me on the face, and then pushed me onto the ground. I was covered with mud and dust, and my face was almost as black as that of a coal miner. After more than an hour, I was transferred to the 4th floor of Baifurong Hotel and detained there illegally.

The Power of Righteous Thoughts

A group of people from the local 6-10 Office tried to interrogate me inside the hotel room. One person from the 6-10 Office told the police, "Do not let her sit on the windowsill. She might jump out of the window." I was handcuffed to a chair inside a room on the 4th floor of the hotel. The police from Guangrong Community Police Station watched me 24 hours a day, and did not allow me to sleep.

I asked Teacher's help and sent righteous thoughts. I sent righteous thoughts to prevent the places where practitioners were printing truth-clarification material from being discovered by the police, to prevent more practitioners from being arrested, and to help more people learn the truth about Falun Gong. I also wanted to get out so I could expose the spy who had arrested me and stop him from betraying more practitioners and doing more bad deeds.

To make me answer their questioning, policeman Xie Hansheng (male, in his early 30s) punched me hard with his fists. When he got too tired to use his fists, he kicked me violently. When he got too tired to kick me, he hit the back of my hand with a knife handle. He still wasn't satisfied. So he took off my shoes and used the heel of one of my shoes to beat me. He cursed while beating me: "Speak! Otherwise I will kill you. When a Falun Gong practitioner dies in police custody, it is always classified as a suicide. We will cremate you immediately. Will you speak or not?" Since I still kept silence, he went on railing and cursing Teacher. I was beat to the point where I had purple and blue patches all over my body. I was unable to walk on my own. When I went to the bathroom, I had to support myself by putting one hand against the wall.

At that time, Teacher hadn't published the article "Stop the Evil Acts with Righteous Thoughts." But I knew for certain that Dafa disciples should not be persecuted by evil in such a way. I asked for Teacher's help. I then sent righteous thoughts to eliminate all evil elements behind the policeman Xie Hansheng and transfer all the pain that I was experiencing onto Xie's body. Under the effect of righteous thoughts, he probably began to feel pain as he was beating me because he kept shifting the position of his body. Within half a day, he stopped beating me all together and didn't even dare to come near me. Once other policemen asked him to come inside the room and eat some fruit. He came in, grabbed a piece of fruit and left immediately. He dared not face me at all. This reminds me of what Teacher said in "The Chill of Autumn's Winds,"

"The evil ones should think twice about their flagrant savagery,
When Heaven and Earth are bright again, down to the boiling cauldron they go;
Punches and kicks do little to change people's hearts,
Violent winds usher in an autumn with even harsher chill."
(Essentials for Further Advancement II, "The Chill of Autumn's Winds")

I know that the evil people will receive just punishment in the end.

Hovering between Life and Death

Since my menses came that day, I asked a young policewoman named Cai Qiong to buy some sanitation pads for me. I told him that she could deduct the money she spent on the pads from the 300 yuan the police had taken from my home. She bought the pads. But she told me that she wouldn't give them to me unless I told her where the Falun Gong truth-clarification material the police had found in my home came from and where it was supposed to go as well as the names and addresses of all Falun Gong practitioners associated with the material. I refused to give her that information so she wouldn't give the pads to me. My pants were soaked with blood. She realized that I was not going to tell her anything and finally gave the pads to me.

The police handcuffed me to the chair for a long time while not allowing me to get any sleep. The moment I closed my eyes, the police would cruelly pour cold water on me. An overweight young man from Luzhou City, a student from a police academy, was there as an intern. He used a torture device made of hard plastic in the shape of a shoe with a width of about 2 inches and a length of about a foot to beat me. He lit up a cigarette and blew the smoke from the cigarette into my nostrils. He also poured alcohol on my face. Tears came from my eyes because of the irritation from the alcohol. When his assignment was up and he was on his way back to Luzhou City, he told other policemen, "As soon as she gives in, call me! I will be waiting for the good news. I do not believe she can hold out much longer."

When policeman Dan Xuejun came on duty, I tried to clarify the truth about Falun Gong to him. He said, "We are aiming to destroy your will by depriving your sleep." I responded, "It will never work. It has no effect on me." He ordered student policemen Yan Lu and Guo Qing to do everything possible to torture me. At that point, I had been on a hunger strike for 5 days. The three policemen tortured me all night. When they were done with me, I felt I was no longer capable of holding any thought in my head. During the next several days, my mind was blank. From time to time, I thought of Teacher's poem "Righteous Thoughts and Righteous Actions:"

"A Great Enlightened Being does not fear hardship
Having forged an adamantine will
And with no attachment to living or dying
He walks his path of Fa-rectification openly and nobly."

When I was in police custody, I spent most of my time clarifying the truth to the police and sending righteous thoughts. I was not allowed to get any sleep and I didn't have opportunities to recite the Fa. I was so tired that the furniture in the hotel room started to look like the furniture in my own home, and I could not tell north from south. I said to myself, "If I let this continue, I won't be able to hold out much longer." So I steeled my heart and shut my eyes to sleep.

As soon as I closed my eyes, the policemen began to shake me violently. They also hit my head and my face with wet towels and poured cold water on my face (it was December). I heard Dan Xuejun telling the two other policemen, "Shake her! Use all your strength to shake her. Bring a tub of cold water and pour it down her face! More water! Don't let her pass out." I could feel them moving around, pouring water on me, beating me with wet towels, and breathing heavily. After that I lost consciousness.

I did not know when I regained consciousness. But when I woke up, I found myself wet from head to toe. Even my wrist was dyed red from the red sweater I was wearing. When a policewoman came in the morning to take over the shift, she not only felt no sympathy for me, she also cursed me loudly.

That night, policeman Li Ke presented me with a formal arrest and detention order. I refused to comply with it. A policeman who appeared to be in charge asked me "Let me ask what you want then." I told him, "I want to go home." He flew into a rage and gnashed his teeth, "You haven't answered any of our questions, and yet you still want to go home. I will be on duty tonight. Wait and see how I will punish you."

I sent righteous thoughts and asked for Teacher's help. I felt that I could not stay there to be persecuted further anymore. After I firmly sent righteous thoughts for a long period of time, the handcuffs on my right hand felt off. . Soon the handcuff on my left hand fell off too. I waited for my chance to leave.

At 5 AM, the police did a shift change. Guo Qing, a student policeman, and another policeman took over. I kept on sending righteous thoughts to make the two of them fall sleep. At about 7 AM, they at last fell asleep. I was afraid they would wake up if I tried to leave by opening the door. I felt my chance of getting out was higher if I jumped out of the window. So I supported myself by pushing a hand against the wall and walked across the room while bending low. I then put on my shoes, climbed on to the windowsill, and jumped off the 4th floor window without any hesitation. After that, all I remembered was someone shouting, "Pinch her Renzhong acupuncture point to resuscitate her." I lost consciousness then.

At about 5 PM, I regained conscious. I found myself lying inside a police car. There was a policeman outside the car guarding me. But apparently they didn't get any medical help for me. Was I lying inside the car for 9 hours from 8 AM to 5 PM? Is it possible that they were waiting for me to die and were planning to cremate me secretly after I died? I don't know the answers to those questions.

The police did send me to a hospital around 6 PM. Because my injury was so serious, the first hospital refused to admit me. The police had to send me to a special orthopedics hospital on Yihuan Road of Chengdu City. Later on, a student policeman told me that the only reason they sent me to the hospital was because people who had gathered to watch what was going had called for an ambulance for me.

All Kinds of Tribulations Coming Down at Once

After examining me, the doctors told me that my pelvis and my right leg were fractured, and I was paralyzed from the waist down. The chief of the hospital with the surname of Yang said, "Your stomach is full of blood from internal bleeding. We need to do an operation on you." I told him, "I don't have the money for the operation." Director Yang answered, "You got injured during your time at the police station. So the police have given the hospital 20,000 Yuan already." I felt bad that the hard-earned money of the Chinese people were being squandered in such a way. The hospital ended up not operating on me because the anesthesiologist felt the surgery would be too risky.

The doctors once applied some medication on my leg. But instead of helping me, the medication only made my leg worse. A large hole appeared on my leg and it became infected. After that, the doctors didn't dare to put any meditation on me anymore. They also gave me some steroids. Dr. Yang became very puzzled, "All other patients who take this gain weight. Why are you the exception?"

In the hospital I clarified the truth about Falun Gong to everyone I met and continued to send righteous thoughts. Once I told the man who was assigned to guard me the truth about Falun Gong. I told him that the news on TV and newspapers about Falun Gong were all forged and he shouldn't listen to the lies. He answered directly, "Right now everything other than the date on the newspaper is false."

Every day the police from the Guangrong Community Police Station took turns watching me. They tied me to the hospital bed 24 hours a day. To protest the persecution, I went on a hunger strike for 24 days straight in the hospital. They placed a force-feeding tube inside my stomach, which made me uncomfortable. I refused to bear such persecution. Under the effect of righteous thoughts, the person watching me said to me, "You smell terrible!" The doctor and nurse also said the same thing. So the police agreed to let me clean myself with a wet towel. They finally took out the tube. I saw the tube had turned to black because it had been inside of me for too long. A nurse said to me, "You'd better start eating. If you continue your hunger strike, we will still have to force-feed you." When I still refused to eat, the nurse asked the doctor to insert the tube into my stomach again. But the doctor answered, "Her stomach has atrophied. It is dangerous to insert a tube in her stomach."

By then, I was as thin as a rail. My weight dropped from 55 kilogram to 30 kilogram. The skin was peeling off everywhere on my body, including my face. My lip was cracked and as hard as a walnut. Both of my legs turned purple and were too swollen to wear pants. Both heels of my feet had become infected and oozed with pus. The nurses tried to find a blood vessel large enough to run an IV line through but couldn't find anything because my blood vessels had atrophied. In order to find a suitable blood vessel, the nurses cut a long incision on my wrist that required three stitches to close but still couldn't find anything. They finally had to call in the head nurse who had been on vacation. After searching for a long time, she did find a suitable blood vessel. Since it was so difficult for them to find a suitable blood vessel, they decided to run the IV 24 hours a day.

To shirk responsibility from my impending death, the Guangrong Community Police Station notified the Jinniu District 610 office about my case. After confirming that I was in critical condition, the 610 office allowed the police from the Guangrong Community Police Station to send me home on a stretcher inside an ambulance in the morning of January 10, 2003.

At that point, my lower body was still paralyzed and I could not take care of myself. When I was in hospital, the nurses used a catheter to drain my urine and I had no bowel movements because I had been on a hunger strike. When I got home, I began to eat but I couldn't urinate. I was holding so much urine inside of me that my belly swelled up like a balloon and I was in excruciating pain. I also could not make a bowel movement for 10 or 15 days. The resulting pain was very hard to endure. I could only eat a couple of bites at a time before I had to stop because of the pain. Seeing how much pain I was in, my family members often cried behind my back. My back was also hurting a lot and my heels were also still infected and oozing pus.

Translated from:

Add new comment